Login to Complete an Application or to Access Judging Panel
Best Edited Collection Award
SCMS recognizes that a considerable amount of media studies scholarship is published in anthologies. These awards will recognize respectively, an outstanding collection of media studies scholarship, and an outstanding single essay published in a collection.
Acknowledging the importance of the work of editors of multi-authored collections to our field, the SCMS Best Edited Collection Award recognizes the best edited collection published during the previous year. This award intends to further the goals of the Society by honoring an outstanding example of newly edited work involving the insights of an editor or co-editor in bringing together the best work of multiple scholars in a single volume. This award is also meant to encourage new scholarship that reflects upon the traditions of collaboration and diverse perspectives in our field.
- The SCMS Best Edited Collection is meant to recognize the work of editors and of new scholarship by multiple scholars in a single edited volume in which the assembled essays reflect sustained and varied engagement with the book’s core theme; hence, textbooks and multiple editions of an edited anthology are ineligible for this award.
- All nominees must be a full members of the Society for the 2017-2018 membership year.
- Edited volumes must be written in or translated into English, edited by a single editor or multiple editors, and published between August 1, 2016 and July 31, 2017.
- An editor or co-editor may submit only one book for consideration in each year.
- Special editions of journals with guest editors are not eligible for this award.
- Editors and authors may self-nominate; individuals may make only one nomination.
- First editions only are eligible for this award.
- Books submitted for this award are not eligible for other SCMS book awards.
- Entrants must complete the Best Edited Collection submission form by August 1, 2017, 5:00PM CST.
- Three copies of the eligible edited books must be received by August 3, 2017, 5:00PM CST. Books received after this date will not be considered - No exceptions!
- Failure to meet requirements will result in disqualification
- The SCMS Home Office will verify membership before distributing copies to the committee members.
- The SCMS Home Office will inform the official winner and all entrants.
- The chair of the committee will announce the winner of the award, read the committee citation, and present the winner with a certificate and a check for $1000 at the annual conference. A W-9 form is required before the check will be disbursed.
- Books submitted for consideration will not be returned.
Please mail book submissions to:
Society for Cinema and Media Studies
Best Edited Collection Award
640 Parrington Oval
Old Science Hall, Room 300
Norman, Oklahoma 73019