Login to Complete an Application or to Access Judging Panel
Katherine Singer Kovács Book Award
At the 2019 SCMS Annual Conference, two Katherine Singer Kovács awards for outstanding scholarship in cinema and media studies will be announced. One award of $1,500 will be given to the author of an outstanding book.
To be considered for the Kovács Book Award, books should be original works that significantly advance scholarship and thinking in the field either by opening up new lines of inquiry or by consolidating existing ones at a high level of accomplishment.
Publishers are invited to nominate books, but individual SCMS members should feel free either to submit copies of books directly or urge their publisher to do so.
- Books must be published between August 1, 2017 and July 31, 2018.
- Republished volumes and edited collections are not eligible.
- Books submitted for this award are not eligible for other SCMS book awards.
- Entrants must complete the submission form by July 31, 2018 5:00PM CT.
- Three copies of the book must be received in the SCMS Home Office by August 2, 2018, 5:00PM CT. Books received after this date will not be considered -- No exceptions!
- Failure to meet requirements will result in disqualification.
- The SCMS Home Office will inform the official winner and all entrants.
- The chair of the committee will announce the winner of the award, read the committee citation, and present the winner with a certificate and a check for $1500 at the annual conference. A W-9 form is required before the check will be disbursed.
- Books submitted for consideration will not be returned.
Please mail book submissions to:
Society for Cinema and Media Studies
Kovács Book Award
640 Parrington Oval
Old Science Hall, Room 300
Norman, Oklahoma 73019