Login to Complete an Application or to Access Judging Panel
Anne Friedberg Innovative Scholarship Award
Funded by a generous gift from her estate, the Anne Friedberg Innovative Scholarship Award recognizes the best new scholarly work that exemplifies rigorous, interdisciplinary and theoretical inquiry into issues of vision and visuality.
Believing that "how the world is framed may be as important as what is contained within that frame,” Friedberg was known for her intellectually agile examination of the increasingly visual nature of contemporary culture and its representation on a gamut of screens: at movie theaters, on televisions and computers, on iPhones, BlackBerrys and other hand-held devices. The author of two books on these subjects, Window Shopping: Cinema and the Postmodern (1994) and The Virtual Window: From Alberti to Microsoft (2006), Anne Friedberg was President-Elect of the Society for Cinema and Media Studies before her untimely death in 2009.
To be considered for the Anne Friedberg Innovative Scholarship Award, books or media projects should be innovative work that expands the discipline of film and media studies, emphasizing its relationship to other visual fields, including architecture, art history, and digital media.
- Nominees must be a full members of the Society for the 2017-2018 membership year.
- Books or media projects must be written in or translated into English and published between August 1, 2016 and July 31, 2017.
- Books submitted for this award are not eligible for other SCMS book awards.
- Entrants must complete the submission form by August 1, 2017, 5:00PM CST.
- Three copies of the book or media project must be received by August 3, 2017, 5:00PM CST. Books received after this date will not be considered - No exceptions!
- Failure to meet requirements will result in disqualification.
- The SCMS Home Office will verify membership before distributing copies to the committee members.
- The SCMS Home Office will inform the official winner and all entrants.
- The chair of the committee will announce the winner of the award, read the committee citation, and present the winner with a certificate and a check for $1000 at the annual conference. A W-9 form is required before the check will be disbursed.
- Books submitted for consideration will not be returned.
Please mail book submissions to:
Society for Cinema and Media Studies
Anne Friedberg Award
640 Parrington Oval
Old Science Hall, Room 300
Norman, Oklahoma 73019