Login to Complete an Application or to Access Judging Panel
Distinguished Career Achievement Award
The Distinguished Career Achievement Award was established to recognize and celebrate the achievements of established scholars in cinema and media studies. Nominations for the SCMS Distinguished Career Achievement Award are invited from the membership each year.
Nominees are judged on the following criteria:
- A record of distinguished contributions to the profession;
- A significant body of scholarly work over time that has helped shape the field;
- Active membership in SCMS for a number of years.
- A completed nomination form containing the name of the nominee, his/her affiliation, mailing address, e-mail address and supporting comments about the nominee along with the contact name and e-mail address(es) for the person(s) who is nominating the individual for the award must be submitted online by August 1, 2017, 5:00PM CST.
- The nomination statement should be under 1000 words.
Past winners of the SCMS Distinguished Career Achievement Award:
2017: Michele Hilmes
2016: Rick Altman
2015: Tom Gunning
2014: Richard Abel
2013: Linda Williams
2012: Vivian Sobchack
2011: Dudley Andrew
2010: Teresa de Lauretis
2009: E. Ann Kaplan
2008: Thomas Elsaesser
2007: Richard Dyer
2006: B. Ruby Rich and Peter Wollen
Formerly Honorary Membership Award:
2005: Pearl Bowser and Stuart Hall
2004: David Shepard
2003: Noel Burch
2002: Robin Wood
2001: Laura Mulvey
2000: Rudolf Arnheim
1999: Kevin Brownlow
1998: Jack C. Ellis
1997: William K Everson
William K. Everson