Login to Complete an Application or to Access Judging Panel
Katherine Singer Kovács Essay Award
At the 2018 SCMS Annual Conference, two Katherine Singer Kovács awards for outstanding scholarship in cinema and media studies will be announced. One award of $500 will be given for an outstanding essay.
To be considered for the Katherine Singer Kovács Essay Award, essays should be original works that significantly advance scholarship and thinking in the field either by opening up new lines of inquiry or by consolidating existing ones at a high level of accomplishment.
Journal editors are invited to nominate essays, but individual SCMS members should feel free either to submit articles directly or urge their editor to do so.
- Essays must be written in or translated into English, and appear in a journal issue published between August 1, 2016 and July 31, 2017.
- Essays must not exceed 20,000 words.
- Authors may self-nominate; individuals may make only one nomination.
- Book chapters from edited collections are not eligible.
- Essays submitted for this award are not eligible for other SCMS essay awards.
- Entrants must complete the submission form by August 1, 2017, 5:00PM CST.
- The essay should be saved in PDF format and uploaded on the submission form.
- Failure to meet any requirements will result in disqualification.
- The SCMS Home Office will verify membership before distributing copies to the committee members.
- The SCMS Home Office will inform the official winner and all entrants.
- The chair of the committee will announce the winner of the award, read the committee citation, and present the winner with a certificate and a check for $500 at the annual conference.