Login to Complete an Application or to Access Judging Panel
The Dissertation Award Committee of the Society for Cinema and Media Studies invites submissions for its annual award for the outstanding dissertation in film, television, and media studies. The SCMS Dissertation Award carries a cash prize of $1,000 and is presented at the annual conference.
Dissertations that address any cinema, television or media topic within the disciplinary concerns and traditions of humanities-based moving image and sound studies will be considered. Criteria for judging include clarity and strength of argumentation, quality and originality of scholarship and research, organization and coherence, prose style, and contribution to the understanding of the field of film, television, or media studies.
- Entrants must have earned their doctoral degrees between August 1, 2016 and July 31, 2017.
- Entrants must be a full members of the Society for the 2017-2018 membership year.
- Entrants must complete the submission form by August 1, 2017, 5:00PM CST.
- The following attachments are required:
- A copy of your diploma or other official document confirming the date of the award of your PhD degree;
- A signed letter of nomination from your dissertation advisor explaining the strengths of your dissertation and its value to the field;
- Your dissertation abstract (250-500 words in length). In it, indicate ONE chapter you would recommend that the committee read, in addition to the introduction and conclusion, for the initial screening process.
- A PDF file of the entire dissertation.
- The SCMS Home Office will verify membership before distributing copies to the committee members.
- The SCMS Home Office will inform the official winners and all entrants.
- The chair of the committee will announce the winners of the awards, read the committee citation, and present the winners with a certificate and a check at the annual conference.