Login to Complete an Application or to Access Judging Panel
Submissions open July 1, 2019, and the deadline for submissions is July 30, 2019, 5:00PM CT.
The Dissertation Award Committee of the Society for Cinema and Media Studies invites submissions for its annual award for the outstanding dissertation in film, television, and media studies. The SCMS Dissertation Award carries a cash prize of $1,000 and is presented at the annual conference. Dissertations that address any cinema, television or media topic within the disciplinary concerns and traditions of humanities-based moving image and sound studies will be considered. Criteria for judging include clarity and strength of argumentation, quality and originality of scholarship and research, organization and coherence, prose style, and contribution to the understanding of the field of film, television, or media studies.
Candidates for the 2019-2020 award must have earned their doctoral degrees between August 1, 2018 and July 31, 2019.
- A completed nomination form containing your name, e-mail address, title of the dissertation, the name of university awarding the degree, date the degree was received, and the name, e-mail address of the advisor/chair of your dissertation committee must be submitted online by July 30, 2019, 5:00PM CT.
- Submit, along with the form:
(1) A copy of your diploma or other official document confirming the date of the award of your PhD degree;
(2) A signed letter of nomination from your dissertation advisor explaining the strengths of your dissertation and its value to the field;
(3) Your dissertation abstract (250-500 words in length). In it, indicate ONE chapter you would recommend that the committee read, in addition to the introduction and conclusion, for the initial screening process.
- ADVISORS: [Link for advisors to upload nomination letter will be available June 25, 2018].
NOTE: The advisor letter must be received by July 30, 2019, 5:00PM CT. This is a firm deadline.
- (4) A PDF file of the entire dissertation.
NOTE: When submitting all the required documents the entire files can't be larger than 30MB, If so, you will need to compress accordingly. Otherwise the documents will not load and you will receive a uploading error.
- The SCMS Home Office will verify membership before distributing copies to the committee members.
- The SCMS office will inform the official winner and all entrants.
- Failure to follow procedures will result in disqualification.
- A W-9 form is required before the check will be disbursed.