Login to Complete an Application or to Access Judging Panel
Student Writing Award
The Student Writing Award recognizes graduate students who show outstanding ability in the field of film, television, and media scholarship in keeping with the disciplinary concerns and traditions of moving image and sound studies. Cash awards of $500, $300, and $200 are made to the winners, and the essay receiving first place is published (subject to revision) in Cinema Journal.
- Each entrant must be an enrolled student in a graduate program in film, television or media studies or a related field.
- Essays prepared by students to fulfill course requirements may be submitted, as may work produced as part of a dissertation or thesis.
- An essay will not be accepted if it has been previously published or accepted for publication in whole or in significant part.
- Essays must be must be between 7,500 and 12,500 words in length, excluding notes and bibliography.
- To maintain the anonymity of the entrant, the author's name should not appear on or in the essay.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a recognized program of graduate study at the time of submission for the award.
- Entrants must complete the submission form by July 31, 2018, 5:00PM CT.
- Students may only submit one essay for the award.
- The essay should be saved in PDF format and uploaded on the submission form.
- Failure to meet any requirements will result in disqualification.
- The SCMS Home Office will inform the official winners and all entrants.
- The chair of the committee will announce the winners of the awards, read the committee citation, and present the winners with a certificate and a check at the annual conference.